2.21.2012

A Trip to Augsburg

My younger brother Alex attends Augsburg college in the Twin Cities. He is in a program called StepUp which is for sober living.

StepUp hosted a huge dinner called the Gala at a hotel. It was pretty stinking fancy!

When we got there, we checked in and got our name badges. Before the dinner started they had a silent auction. During check in they gave us ipod touches as our bidding pads. All of your bidding for the night was done from your ipod. They closed down the silent auction partway through dinner. We won a giant fortune cookie covered in chocolate and m&ms, and a Menards gift bag. Woohoo! We had dinner and listened to people share their stories of addiction and sobriety. It was very moving! Inbetween the speeches, there was also a live auction. I have never seen one before, so for me, this was very entertaining. They were auctioning things off like week long vacations to private homes on a beach and autographed guitars by the Rolling Stones. All together they raised about $71,000 at this dinner for the StepUp program. Pretty amazing.

I am looking forward to next year's Gala. This year is was just my mom and I, so next year I am excited to bring Brenton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Berger & Co.. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.