5.03.2012

Supernatural Spirits & Anxiety


The church Brenton and I go to is going through a series titled "Supernatural". It discusses who Satan is, who the Holy Spirit is, what angles are, and what their purpose is. We are also diving even deeper into the discussion in our small group.

To be honest, I have never really had conversations about supernatural warfare. I hate scary movies and don't like scary things, which is probably why I shy away from talking about demons.

Amongst my daily struggle of self image and negative thoughts that Satan puts in my head, and the lies he tries to tell me, I seriously struggle with anxiety. I don't like being alone at home and get freaked out really easily. I am always afraid that someone is out to get me.. I know.. its dumb and irrational.. but for me, they are real feelings.

This series and small group discussion has really helped me to grow and better understand this area of my life. It has also equipped me with some scripture for when I have anxiety.

James 4:7-8 has had the biggest impact on me these past couple of weeks. "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you."


It has helped me so much to mediate on this scripture and even pray back this scripture. As soon as I feel uncomfortable or start to feel anxious, I repeat this to myself and it is amazing how quickly I am reassured. I know I am powerless on my own and that the only thing I can do is turn to God. If I search and surround myself in Him, He will protect and comfort me. Scripture is my sword and weapon. (Matthew 4 is a great example!)

Satan wants to inflict pain and direct us away from the truth of God. He also desires to paralyze us with fear.

A woman who is a member of the church writes songs and shares them every once and a while on Sundays. This past sunday she wrote a song about this very thing and it brought me to tears...

"Lord, tell these demons that come with their roars, I am Yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Berger & Co.. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.