12.20.2015

a time of waiting


This is such a unique part of life.
To be home with littles, and for my world to revolve around raising them.

It is really easy to feel unrecognized, unappreciated, unimportant, irrelevant, etc. And when I am feeling this way, I find I'm searching for a different "title" to attach to my name, rather than just "mom". I don't feel productive or noticed, important or significant if I don't have a successful Etsy shop, work in a staff position, own a small business, or run a ministry. If people don't know my name, what good am I? Why I am not being used in a great big way for the kingdom of God?

This is where I feel the Spirit taking over.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a message at our home church Sunnybrook from the series We Are The Called. For a moment in the sermon, the focus was on being a stay-at-home mom. I have felt like God has told me someday I will do something big... and what I left church with that day is that in the meantime I am to "tend to my sheep". I'm going to continue to be faithful and do what I am called to do in this moment, in this stage of life.

We are to be faithful in the in-between.

Hebrews 11 is known as the Hall of Faith. One of those members is Sarah, and her story can be found in Genesis 20 & 21. Sarah was way past the age of childbearing. In fact, she was about 90 years old. But Sarah had shatterproof faith that God would be faithful in his promise to make her the mother of the nation of Israel. "Sometimes we feel like God has placed our lives in a permanent holding pattern. Rather than taking matters into our own hands, we can let Sarah's story remind us that a time of waiting may be God's precise plan for us."

I have so desperately needed to let these words sink in. I struggle with sadness and anxiety because I'm so badly wanting to be recognized and successful (in a worldly sense). But the truth I have felt God speaking to me is that He has given me a calling. It's not a great big calling. Not at the moment. But it is where I am supposed to be.

Can I get an amen?



Click HERE if you would like to watch the sermon from Sunnybrook by Pastor Jeff!

"What you are doing behind the scenes has tremendous significance... doing some insignificant things but in a significant way." - Pastor Jeff Moes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Berger & Co.. All rights reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio.